The Industrial Emissions Directive (IED) Food & Drink


Do you manufacture products from vegetable raw materials or from mixed animal and vegetable raw materials? The Industrial Emissions Directive (IED) could affect breweries, millers, soft drinks manufacturers, vegetable processors, ready meals and other mixed product manufacturers.

If you operate an activity coming into regulation for the first time under IED, you will need to apply for an environmental permit by 31 March 2015. This will allow us to process your permits in time for 7 July 2015 – when the IED will come into force.

IED introduces changes to the description of some activities previously covered by the Integrated Pollution Prevention and Control (IPPC) Directive. This brings some existing food and drink manufacturing businesses that are not currently regulated under IPPC into regulation for the first time.

For further information, contact your local Environment Agency office.

Read guidance on IED changes to food and drink